Tuesday, May 28, 2013

*^ Roma- A City Full of Cultures ^*

When I was 18, I had an amazing opportunity. Throughout my life, I have been able to do diverse activities because of my parents. I always knew that I wanted to live in Italy. I wasn't sure where, but I knew my heart was there. Shortly after graduating high school, I was on a desperate search for a college. I didn't want to go anywhere, but Europe and I was stubborn. I didn't do the correct process and failed to apply to any college. As you can imagine, my parents were infuriated. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to attend any college at all, but I knew I had to. Since I had begged my parents all my life about Italy, they made arrangements to meet with staff at one of the most well-known school, The American University of Rome. I will never forget the day I arrived at the iron gates to tour the school. It was small, but magnificently beautiful. It was surrounded by different trees and it felt homely. I enjoy learning in small groups. I am easily distracted by larger ones, so this school was perfect. In January of 2008, I was able to attend The American University of  Rome. I had the pleasure of experiencing many diverse cultures. I also met unforgettable individuals that will always remain close to my heart. One of my best friends, pictured above third to last, is from Iraq. She introduced me to her culture and made me feel welcome in Europe when I felt alone. It wasn't easy leaving my family, so four years evolved into four short months. It's one of my many regrets because I didn't receive my dual degree, but I had the opportunity. That is one of the greatest things I have ever done. If you have the chance, explore. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever done.

No comments:

Post a Comment