Friday, June 12, 2015

** Breastfeeding, Why I said, "Yes."**


"Breast What? I am not doing that. You mean the baby has to feed from there? Gross! Breasts aren't meant for that."
People, it's time to stop sexualizing the breast. Stop relating the breast to sexual gratification. Before there was formula, there was solely breast milk. All of our ancestors breast fed their babies. If they didn't breastfeed, there was a town wet nurse, whom gave milk to all of the babies whose mothers did not have enough. Breast milk is a natural thing. It has many vitamins that nourish our babies brains. Researchers recommend breastfeeding for the first two years of life for maximum benefits. Research also shows that breastfed babies perform better than their formula fed counterparts. I know what you're thinking. "Formula was invented for a reason. Breastfeeding isn't for everyone. Who are you to judge anyone?" I am not bashing formula or anyone who chooses to formula feed their children. I was a formula fed baby. Therefore, I respect all mothers who feed their babies! I'm just going to share facts. I had plans of breastfeeding for three to six months and am currently in my 8th month of breastfeeding. I went through hell to breastfeed my daughter because I never give up a battle. I had inverted nipples, mastitis, bleeding and sore nipples, and was just about ready to throw the towel in. If it wasn't for a dear friend of mine who encouraged me to continue, I wouldn't be where I am today. She added me to a breastfeeding support group, "breast friends," that educated me on breastfeeding and its challenges. I read about the additives in formula and the unknown that exists in them. I decided I did not want my child to consume that. My breastmilk came in after two days. My daughter was determined to feed off of me. I wouldn't have made it through without Mama Earth's Nipple Butter. There were many times I cried my eyes out. I always asked myself, "why." When I read stories from other mothers in, "Breast Friends," I knew the answer. Believe it or not, so many people seek breastmilk. There are many children who are classified as "failure to thrive" and benefit from the natural nutrients of breastmilk. Their parents are unable to produce or adopt them and are incapable of producing, so they go on different websites in search of milk (Human Milk 4 Human Babies- Florida and Eats on Feats- Florida). There are also many mothers desperate for milk because they stopped producing. Believe it or not, if you have breastmilk and are willing to donate, these websites help you. Never trust anyone trying to sell their stash. Mothers are extremely grateful for whatever you give them. Some have even made me cry. Don't take anything natural for granted. That's why breast milk is "liquid gold." Some people use it as a method to cure their cancers. So, next time you judge a breastfeeding mother for being uncovered or whatever the case may be, consider what she's doing. Feeding her child. Admire her and offer encouragement. She may be an angel nourishing the world. If you are breastfeeding and have an extra stash of milk please, please look up the agencies provided. DONATE! DONATE DONATE! Your milk is someone else's treasure. If you've considered not breastfeeding, maybe now you will. If you're a formula feeding mother who judged people who nursed their children, maybe now you won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment