Sunday, March 31, 2013

"Gun Violence in America- What Should We Do?"

I'll never forget the first time the envelope arrived at my mailbox. It was June, 1999 and I was extremely excited to open it. My whole body was shaking. I couldn't help, but think that my letter actually made a difference. President William (Bill) Jefferson Clinton replied to my pleas on gun control and violence in our schools. At the time, I was only ten years old and terrified because the Columbine massacre had struck our country. You never really appreciate life or your families until something that tragic occurs. At ten years old, I felt the need to make a difference and attempt to alter the laws in America. The former president thanked me for my concerns about possible medical detectors and stricter laws. He assured me that he would do everything in his power to ensure the safety of America's youth. My heart never smiled as it did that day. An even bigger smile crossed my face when I reached the end of it. It was signed, "Sincerely, Bill Clinton" and addressed from The White House. I never felts as proud as I did that day. My entire family was proud of my attempts. I never knew how serious gun violence would become. I didn't think that so many children would perish for selfishness. I thought gun violence would stop after harsher laws were enforced, but I was naive. It would continue throughout the years and override every ban in the country. I've learned that there is no absolute way to control guns. Anyone could get a hold of their parents weapon and snap. They wake up one morning and make a decision that doesn't only cost one life, but millions across a nation. I do not understand how anyone could pick up such a powerful weapon and aim it at a child. After careful evaluation of the facts, I think that they are severely unstable. I believe that every individual in this country that owns an armed weapon and has a license to shoot must undergo a psychological evaluation, along with the entire family unit. You never know when someone will explode and steal their parents gun. Therefore, it is vital that psychological states are closely dissected. I know that it won't change the past, but it will help the future. You never know what is going to happen. One day you may kiss your daughter, sister, son, niece, nephew, brother, grandchild, etc. "goodbye," and it could be the last time. Nothing in this world is certain, so Americans must unite. Remember, we can all make a difference, I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment