Saturday, July 4, 2015

*Who Do You Think You Are- Really?*


Isn't it fascinating to evaluate your heritage. Obviously, we are told a rough estimate of our nationalities by our parents, but is that where it ends? You see, I became interested in digging deeper into my routes after watching the show, "Who Do You Think You Are?" I found it captivating that with a simple swab of DNA, celebrities were able to uncover their ancestral roots. The show also traced last names to original towns and were able to go as far back to the 1800's or more. Personally, I knew I was of Italian descent. I am first and second generation Italian. My mothers parents are italian immigrants and so is my father. I wanted to save the $200.00 necessary for the swab test. Over the years, I forgot it existed. It wasn't until I had a discussion with one of the girls at work that I heard she had done the swab test. The price had drastically decreased. It was only $100.00. I immediately typed in the website she told me to go to: ancestry.dna.com. I was 7 months pregnant and my thirst for heritage grew stronger. I thought it would be an amazing gift to share with my future child. The DNA kit was shipped and received in approximately two weeks. I had to wait thirty minutes without drinking or eating and put my saliva sample in a tube. I mailed out the kit and received my results within a few weeks. My Italian heritage was confirmed. I was indeed 70% Greek/Italian, which amazed me. The 100% didn't exist. I was also 9% Middle Eastern and 4% Eastern European. When I logged onto ancestry DNA to view my matches, I discovered so much about my origins and I was absolutely astonished. I could see a link between all of my results. I was 12% West Asian, which I would like to attribute to the Etruscan tribe that invaded Tuscany, where my surname is said to originate from. As I digged deeper, I knew it wasn't a hoax. I recommend everyone to do this test. It's 100% legitimate and if you don't know who you are, you will become emotional uncovering the past. It's the best thing I've ever done in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment